Saturday 21 June 2014

Birds

Hello, I'm so excited about this tag, I have just loved making it. I hope you like it too lol. I was inspired to think 'wings' by the Vintage Journey  Blog challenge, theme of wings and things. I wanted to use birds as it is not something I usually do and thought it would be fun.

This is also the challenge at Thats's Crafty blog, so I'm entering that as well.

Well...

It didn't exactly emerge with birds in the way I had thought, but does have a few birds. I hope it's enough to qualify to enter the challenge, but if not it was still a really fun project to make.

Now, if I were you I'd grab a cuppa and a biscuit, because this post is a bit picture heavy!

I used 3 distress inks to colour my tag, then used the spritz and flick technique from Tim Holtz which you can see here






















Once it had dried I placed my bird stencil on the tag and used a baby wipe to remove some of the ink. Dyan Reaveley calls this ghosting, check out her demonstration. This left a lovely ethereal quality to the tag which I loved.




Taking this a step further, I used a mask with people and spritzed on my tag similar dylusions colours by Ranger. As I removed the mask I placed them face down on the tag to add more depth. I allowed this to dry. 






















I applied grunge paste through a stencil and let it dry. I cannot remember where either of the stencils came from so if you know please let me know and I will update details.  Leandra at Paper Artsy demonstrates this on their YouTube Channel.

Once it had dried, I coloured it with a mix of yellow and green spray ink. I touched this with a tiny amount of french Roast Fresco finish paints, and then an even teenier amount of Spanish Topaz, treasure gold. 












I wanted a sentiment to reflect birds and found this quote by Robert Lynd on this web site.


In order to see birds it is necessary...
...to become part of the silence.

I really liked it and thought it fitted nicely. 

Once this was stamped on I felt the tag needed framing and edged it lightly with the French Roast  and finished with some binding ribbon coloured to match.



Thank you looking, I would love to read your thoughts. 

Bye for now! debs xx

SHARE:

7 comments

  1. I can see why you like this tag, it's fabulous - from the background to the quote to finish it off. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous, love how you've covered the cages etcs and left those little birdies white, looks great

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty I love the colour combo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tag - I can see why you are so happy with it. You are a VERY GOOD student. You have taken your lessons to heart and done a wonderful job. Thanks for joining us on our travels at A Vintage Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A spectacular bird tag - thanks for entering it into the That's Crafty! challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous tag Deb! Good luck in the That's Crafty Challenge! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous - those layers give such an amazing illusion of depth, and it's so mysterious and beautiful! A really cracking tag. Thanks for joining us on A Vintage Journey!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. Your comments are appreciated.

Hugs Debs xxx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig